History of the enterprise
Belarusian chemical industry was born here, on the ancient Polotsk land, on the left bank of the Western Dvina river. Novopolotsk oil refinery was the flagship of the contemporary branch of economy and currently is an important integral part of the industrial system of the country.
Construction of the plant started in 1958 by order of the Council of Ministers of the USSR No. 2577-р dated August 6, 1958. The general designer was Lengiprogaz Institute, and later Lengiproneftekhim.
Main criteria in the choice of the construction site were favourable geographic location near western borders which allowed exporting into the countries of Western Europe; the necessity to supply oil products to western regions of the USSR, and the neighbourhood of Polotsk – a large transport hub.
On February 9, 1963 first gasoline of the Belarusian origin was produced.
At that times the plant was designed to process 6 million tons of crude oil per year. The production base comprised the crude distillation unit with the capacity of 2 million tons per year (АВТ-1), black oil thermal cracking unit (15-5), and the bitumen production unit (19-5).
In 1964 catalytic gasoline reforming unit was launched.
1965 – the facility for oil production with the capacity of 120 thousand tons per year, the second crude distillation unit, facilities for hydrofining of diesel fuel, desulfurization of dry gases, and the facility for production of sulfuric acid from hydrogen sulphide were launched.
1966 – the project for expansion of the plant for processing of crude oil up to 17 million tons per year was designed. The project comprised increase of production of light oil products, oils, bitumen, oil additives, and production of aromatic carbohydrates: benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, paraxylene, orthoxylene, pseudocumene. There was envisaged the construction of deep oil processing in the structure of the following facilities: catalytic cracking of vacuum gasoil, gas fractioning, alkylation, isomerization, polymerization, facilities of thermocontact coking of goudron. A modernized facility for production of hard high-purity paraffins was also launched.
In 1970-80s the project of the plant expansion was implemented as to construction of crude distillation units АТ-8, AVT-6, hydrocracking of diesel fuel, refining of gasolines, production of aromatic carbohydrates, increase of production capacity of lubrication oils.
The development of the plant was not limited to the project of expansion to 17 million tons per year. Based on demand of the USSR in certain kinds of products, new facilities were built to meet the requirements under individual project. Thus, to increase production of high quality lubrication oil additives, the facilities for production of succinamide (1973) and sulfate (1976) additives were built, and in 1892 the complex for production of liquid paraffins was put into operation.
For the increased export of black oil and diesel fuel, the units AT and AVT were upgraded to increase the capacity of primary oil processing. In 1967 the unit AVT-1 was modernized, and in 1974 the unit AVT-2 and in 1975 the facility of thermal cracking of black oil was rebuild for primary oil processing. In 1978 the unit AT-8 and in 1980 the unit AVT-6 were also upgraded. The capacity of the plant in terms of primary oil processing had reached 25 million tons per year by 1980.
In order to improve quality of aviation kerosene, in 1977 the facility for demarcaptanization of kerosene (project by UOP) and in 1978 the facility for hydrofining of kerosene were launched.
In 1984 the facility for production of benzene by means of hydrodealkylation of tolyene and xylenes (project by Asahi, Japan) was launched.
Currently the existing production facilities are continuously upgraded for the purpose of further expansion of petroleum product processing.
In accordance with Order of the Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Belarus dated August 28, 2002 No. 118, Republican Unitary Enterprise Novopolotsk Production Association “Naftan” was restructured into Open Joint-Stock Company Naftan.
Year 2004 was marked by a successful completion of the Program for modernization and reconstruction of the enterprise “Naftan for 1999-2003”, which covered the whole process cycle of the enterprise.
11 major projects were implemented, including Vacuum Gasoil Hydrocracking Complex.
Based on the decision of the extraordinary General Shareholder Meeting dd. 1 December 2008 OJSC “Naftan” was reorganized by acquisition of OJSC “Polymir”.